Submit Post
Date: February 17, 2026 7:57 pm. Number of posts: 1,779. Number of users: 3,145.

Major crimes drastically reduced in Lagos — CP

The Commissioner of Police, Lagos State Command, Mr Olohundare Jimoh, says Lagos has recorded a sharp decline in major crimes during his first year in office.

He credited intelligence-led policing, community partnerships, and strengthened operational strategies for the achievement.

Speaking with journalists at the command headquarters in Ikeja on Tuesday, Jimoh highlighted the command’s achievements from February 18, 2025, to February 17, 2026, since he assumed office.

He said internal security remained stable, with no serious breaches of public peace, and civil protests were professionally managed without escalation.

“Those celebrating were provided security, and those protesting were equally protected.

“We ensured that no protest degenerated into violence, and incidents threatening critical infrastructure, such as the Third Mainland Bridge, were contained with minimum force,” he said.

The commissioner reported a major reduction in cultism and cult-related violence, with notorious flashpoints in areas like Oshodi, Ketu, Mushin, and Lagos Island now under control.

“Several suspects linked to violent crimes were arrested, including a long-time gang leader who had been on the police watchlist for nearly two decades,” he said.

Jimoh said over 150 stolen vehicles were recovered during the year, with anti-car theft units established across area commands to tackle the problem.

The police boss said tactical squads were expanded from 23 to 35 units, covering all local government areas, while intelligence and surveillance operations helped prevent opportunistic crimes.

To strengthen security, Jimoh said the Eko Strike Force was created to complement the Rapid Response Squad (RRS), equipped with patrol vehicles and other resources from the Lagos State Government’s Security Trust Fund.

Jimoh emphasised that technology and community engagement were critical in improving response times and building public confidence.

He said the command also provided security for high-profile national and international events in the state, including ceremonies attended by governors, ministers, and foreign dignitaries.

“The command remains committed to protecting residents and visitors. We will continue to ensure that Lagos remains not only Nigeria’s economic hub but also a model of security and public safety,” Jimoh said.

He said this underscored the state’s status as one of the safest in Nigeria, in spite of its dense population and role as the country’s commercial center.

He lauded the Inspector-General of Police, Mr Kayode Egbetokun, for his immense support.

The police chief also thanked the Governor of Lagos State, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu, for his support and for strengthening the operational capacity of the command by donating four new patrol vehicles through the State Security Trust Fund, led by its Executive Secretary, Dr Ayo Ogunsan.

The commissioner also described the state’s control centers as “state-of-the-art,” essential for monitoring security across the over 24 million population of the state.

“The Federal Government, through the Minister of Works, Mr Dave Umahi, has supported these centers, including providing monthly allowances of N3 million for members of staff, distributed across Marine Police units, Federal Highway Patrol, and the control centers themselves to sustain operations.”

(NAN)



Source link

Punch Newspapers
We will be happy to hear your thoughts

      Leave a reply

      Nigeria's Fast-Growing Online Forum for News & Discussions
      Logo
      1